The content for this workshop (and post) "Igniting the Passion for a Radical Revival of Purity" was taken largely from the book Secret Sex Wars: A Battle Cry for Purity of which I am the general editor. For a fuller discussion of the issues covered in this workshop, I strongly recommend that you get the book.
Second, to those who attended this workshop, God used you to encourage my soul. I thank God for your tender hearts towards God's call to holiness and pray with you that God will ignite a passion for purity in your heart and use you to spark a revival of purity throughout our urban centers.
Finally, to Brian Dye and the entire Legacy staff, Christ was honored by your vision, servant's hearts, administrative excellence, and commitment to proclaim the truth of His Word.
- It doesn’t mean that you hide it.
- You cannot put sin to death by internalizing it.
- You have not put sin to death just by exchanging it for another sin.
- You must hate sexual sin passionately.
- You must fight sexual sin violently.
- You must deal with sexual sin decisively.
- You must fight it spiritually. (Eph 6:12)
- You must fight with faith in God (Col 3:5).
- You must finally fight it with fullness . (Eph 5:18; 3; Col 3:16)
- We must put sexual sin to death because the Word of God commands it, Col 3:5.
- We must put sexual sin to death is because the nature of sexual sin demands that we put it to death (1 Pet 2:11).
- We must put sexual sin to death because it brings the wrath of God, Col 3:6.
- We must put sexual sin to death because the grace of God has already come, Col 3:7.
Part 2: Living Radical Pure Lives in the Will of God
1 Thess 4:3-8
I. Three Commands for Sexual Purity, 1 Thess 4:3-6a
Command #1 Abstain from Sexual Immorality, 1 Thess 4:3
Command #2 Learn How to Control Your Body in Holiness and Honor, 1 Thess 4:4-5
Command #3 Don't Transgress and Defraud Your Brothers and Sisters, 1 Thess 4:6a
- Familial: brothers and sisters, 1 Tim 5:2
- Threats: seducers and seductresses we must avoid, Proverbs 7:5, 26-27
- Potential Dangers: The unsaved we are called to reach, Jude 23
- A Spouse: Being a One Mate Kind of Person, 1 Tim 3:2
- Reason #1 God Abhors Immorality, 1 Thess 4:6b
- Reason #2 God Calls Believers to be Pure, 1 Thess 4:7
- Reason #3 God is Holy and He Helps Christians to be Holy, 1 Thess 4:8
- Undisciplined Leisure Time Will Lead to Moral Failure, 2 Sam 11:1
- Looking Will Lead to Moral Failure, 11:2
- Pride Will Lead to Moral Failure, 11:3
- Lust Will Lead to Moral Failure, 11:4
- Lying Will Lead to Moral Failure, 11:5-13
- Abusing Ones Authority Will Lead to Moral Failure, 11:14-21
- A Calloused Heart Will Lead to Moral Failure, 11:22-25
- Concealing Sin Will Lead to Moral Failure, 11:26-27a
- You Must Fear God, 2 Sam 11:27b
- You Must Listen to God's Rebuke, 12:1-15
- You Must Accept God's Discipline, 12:16-23
- You Must Confess Your Sins before God, 2 Sam 12:13; Ps 51:4-5
- You Must Plead to God for Forgiveness, Ps 51:10
- You Must Re-Commit Yourself from that Sin 1 Kings 15:5